Monday, October 09, 2006

not dead yet


I'm very sorry for the lack of posts...this past week I was at a Fulbright conference (Saturday-Tuesday) in a city called Gyeongju and then on a visit to China (Wednesday-Sunday). Both trips were amazing and much-needed breaks from my life here in Gongju. The reason I could do all this travelling is because last week included the Korean holiday Chuseok (a bit like Thanksgiving) and Foundation Day.

So far I have received some awesome Chuseok gifts. When I got to school this morning, there was a box on my desk that said "케라" (my name phonetically), "Do is fo you" crossed out, the word "NO" in caps, and "this is for you. love..." with a heart instead of the period. There was no name anywhere on the box. Inside was a bright pink hand towel from Jeju Island, so I'm reasonably sure it's from a sixth grader (they just took a class trip there). Since the sixth graders are the class I feel I have the least connection with and the only one I worry is too cool for my lessons, it made me really happy to know that one of them loves me.
Other presents include a (pictured) giant gift set of toothpaste, toothbrushes, and soap from my vice principal (hopefully not a hint that I have an odor problem) and a bra and underwear set with green and blue stripes, yellow lace, and huge, padded C cups.

No comments: